- Sunderland City Council had allocated land at Hillthorn Park for industrial development. A proposal for an Energy from Waste plant attracted considerable public opposition and the Council refused planning consent.
- The applicant appealed and we were instructed by the Council to provide expert evidence on employment land issues at a two week planning inquiry.
- We undertook a detailed review of the quantity and quality of the supply of and demand for employment land within the sub-region. We established that the appeal site was one of the best employment sites in the local authority area and that it was in an area of strong market demand.
- The proposed incinerator would create relatively few employment opportunities and there was a strong case that the appeal site should be reserved for employment uses that could realise greater economic benefits.
- Proofs of evidence were exchanged prior to the inquiry. On the basis of the evidence we prepared, the appellant withdrew from the inquiry.
- Our client avoided the cost and uncertainty of proceeding with the inquiry.
- Six months after the inquiry a proposal to build 620,000 sq ft of industrial premises at Hillthorn Park was announced.
Get in touch
Email me direct
REGISTER FOR UPDATES
Get the latest insight, event invites and commercial properties by email