- Sunderland City Council had allocated land at Hillthorn Park for industrial development. A proposal for an Energy from Waste plant attracted considerable public opposition and the Council refused planning consent.
- The applicant appealed and we were instructed by the Council to provide expert evidence on employment land issues at a two week planning inquiry.
- We undertook a detailed review of the quantity and quality of the supply of and demand for employment land within the sub-region. We established that the appeal site was one of the best employment sites in the local authority area and that it was in an area of strong market demand.
- The proposed incinerator would create relatively few employment opportunities and there was a strong case that the appeal site should be reserved for employment uses that could realise greater economic benefits.
- Proofs of evidence were exchanged prior to the inquiry. On the basis of the evidence we prepared, the appellant withdrew from the inquiry.
- Our client avoided the cost and uncertainty of proceeding with the inquiry.
- Six months after the inquiry a proposal to build 620,000 sq ft of industrial premises at Hillthorn Park was announced.
Get in touch
Associate Director - Development Consultancy
Email me direct
REGISTER FOR UPDATES
Get the latest insight, event invites and commercial properties by email