The site covers circa 1600 sq m and comprised of a small forecourt of parking area outside of, and serving, two adjoining single-storey industrial units. We were instructed to manage a pre-application planning process to establish the re-development potential of the site in order to maximise the value prior to the disposal/sale of the land.
- The site was located within designated 'Locally Significant Industrial Site (LSIS)' land, with adopted Local Plan policy protection against the loss of employment use floor space.
- In order to achieve a considerably increased land value from the existing industrial use, we were instructed to appoint and manage an architect to design a residential-led mixed use proposal and present this to Ealing Council.
- The aim was for the proposals to be inclusive of a considerable amount of residential development.
- We appraised the site to understand the redevelopment potential and guide the selected architects on a realistic, yet optimal redevelopment scheme that we would be confident presenting to the council, with our justifications having assessed the relevant Local Plan, regional (London) plan, and national planning (NPPF) planning policies.
- We identified examples of other approved applications in the borough that also comprised of commercial-led, mixed use redevelopment with the inclusion of new residential units on designated LSIS land.
- We suggested a range of B1(c) [light industrial] uses at the ground floor level, as these would be compatible with the residential elements of the scheme.
- We managed the entire process from obtaining and accessing architect fee proposals (advising the client on which practice to appoint); managing the architect's work (to ensure client aspirations could be achieved); and, then presenting the scheme with the architects to Ealing Council's Planning Service.
- Working with the architects, we managed to arrive at a proposal that would result in an increase in the total employment floorspace by 10%, whilst also delivering 51 new residential units.
- Having received a positive pre-application response from Ealing Council, our colleagues in the Land team at Lambert Smith Hampton sold the site to a developer at a price that exceeded our client's expectations.
REGISTER FOR UPDATES
Get the latest insight, event invites and commercial properties by email